September 29, 2022 — Semper Workforce Solutions is pleased to announce the results of the 2022 second quarter survey of printing and packaging companies, including: commercial printing, packaging, display and large format graphics, apparel and decorating, and others. The quarterly survey provides insights to how the industry is doing as a whole and how respondents focus their workforce recruitment strategies. These insights give the Semper Team a unique perspective to share with employers, helping them to prepare for the future and make proactive hiring decisions.
Dave Regan, Semper International Co-Founder and CEO, summarized the survey results, “Looks like record profits for the second quarter – these are some of the highest numbers I’ve ever seen. Companies should be building their cash to weather the coming interest rate hikes, but not all shops are doing well. Not all is “rosy” as you will see in the survey with many businesses reporting steady sales and some reporting decreasing sales. With the Fed on its inflation rampage, we suspect the next survey will really show us some impact of their actions.”
- Estimated revenue showed a decent spread in company size based on sales with a large amount under 2 million and equally larger number over 10 million.
- Several respondents showed low single digit profit percentages or a loss, however 70% of respondents indicate their net profit margin is north of 8% a historically healthy number.
- Q3 projections reflected a very strong belief that regardless of macroeconomic head winds the 3rd quarter would show a strong increase in sales.
- Company hiring plans showed a strong intention of hiring, with only one respondent indicating a reduction in staff and another maintaining current staffing level. All other respondents are planning to expand their workforce.
- Recruitment strategies have shifted from relying on internal referrals to heavy utilization of job boards and temp agencies – as stated by 80% of the respondents.
Our survey results give Semper a unique glimpse into the printing and packaging markets. The Semper Team leverages this data to facilitate the exchange of information and, at times, the exchange of physical items between entities. We honor our industry community with a commitment to maintain confidentiality, thereby earning trust and confidence of participating businesses.
For those organizations who would like to be included in our Q3 2022 survey, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org – questions will be available for data collcetion October 15th. Other questions about staffing and hiring can also be submitted via email or on the new Semper website https://semperllc.com/contact-us/.
ABOUT SEMPER LLC
Semper was founded and is run by graphic arts and staffing professionals. Since 1994, Semper has provided staffing solutions for flexible, temporary, and permanent employment needs in print, copy, packaging, and prepress. Our efficient, reliable business model has helped transform how a wide range of print and graphics companies fill important roles or stretch production capacity.
Semper also helps clients expand into new areas and meet the demands of the digital age. As the print and graphics industry evolves and diversifies, Semper helps companies face the changes to come.
Jules VanSant, Partner
Bubble & Hatch