Semper knows that the job search process is a trying one, regardless of how qualified you are. Here are a few helpful tips to make it a little easier.
- Research the company. Find out key information about the company ahead of time, such as annual revenue and principal lines of business, thus enabling you to ask intelligent, and informed questions.
- Know the exact time and place of the interview, and arrive 10 minutes early. Know your interviewer’s title and full name (and how to pronounce it!).
- Think about how you are a good match for the company, how your skills and experiences would make you an asset to them.
- Determine how this is a good opportunity for you, for both short-term and long-term career development goals. Never underestimate the importance of appropriate business attire (suit), a firm handshake, eye contact, and an enthusiastic smile.
- Be a good listener and a good communicator.
- Get the interviewer to describe the position and its responsibilities as early in the interview as possible, so you have time to think about how your experiences and abilities relate.
- Stress your achievements.
- Don’t ask about salary, vacations, and bonuses unless your interviewer mentions it first.
- Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t receive an offer at the end of the interview. Interviewers often have to discuss with other co-workers before hiring.
- Be yourself! You have to show your interviewer what sets you apart from the rest.